Financial Counselor Training & Certification Program
LCUL is proud to kick off our 6th year of the Certified Financial Counseling Program in January. This year will follow the same streamlined & overhauled curriculum that debuted last year. Those who successfully complete the program and exams will earn their Credit Union Certified Financial Counselor (CCUFC) Designation.
The FiCEP curriculum includes:
- 8 modules presented in print format to be read at the student’s pace prior to webinar viewing
- 9 live webinars (1 orientation & 8 instructional) to recap each module -- also available as archives
- 2 live In-Person trainings to include instructor review, role playing & best practices
- Tangible take-away materials including tracking programs & starter kits for your members
- NEW online practice quizzes recently revamped based on prior students feedback!
- 2 online tests of 100 questions each – one mid-term and one at final
Are you ready to join the ranks of the 250+ Certified Financial Counselors currently serving Louisiana's Credit Union Members? Your Louisiana peers found the course to be rewarding on so many levels.
“It is so much more than just completing a course. This program will help you learn how important it is to budget, and to prepare for insurance needs, get out of debt, and recognize the signs of someone who is in need of financial help. This is what the philosophy of People Helping People is all about.” Tiffany Murray of Total Choice FCU, Certified since 2014.
"It is very important for us to find ways to say YES to our members. Being a Certified Financial Counselor provides another opportunity to say YES." Glenda Rushe of St. Tammany FCU, Certified since 2013
FiCEP Schedule: All webinars are 1 hour and begin at 9:30 am
- Orientation Webinar (Tues, Jan 16)
- Introduction to Financial Counseling (Tues, Jan 23)
- Financial Counseling Essentials (Tues, Jan 30)
- Special Issues in Financial Counseling (Tues, Feb 20)
- Using Communication Skills During Financial Counseling (Tues, March 6)
Part 1: Live Training/Testing Session: Mar 13 from 9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. (Marriott Baton Rouge)
- Taxes, Insurance, and Investments (Tues, Mar 27)
- Controlling Expenses (Tues, Apr 10)
- Money, Attitudes & Behaviors (Tues, Apr 24)
- Retirement & Personal Financial Preparedness (Tues, May 1)
Part 2: Live Training/Testing Session: May 8 from 9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. (Embassy Suites Baton Rouge)
All testing is done online. This allows students to receive their grades instantly & privately. Students must have access to a laptop computer or tablet with wireless internet connectivity capabilities.
$995 per person. Deadline to register is December 15th to ensure timely arrival of books!
Who should become a Certified Financial Counselor?
Anyone desiring to become one should have the opportunity to do so, but we especially recommend this program for Lending Staff, Collections Staff, Branch Managers, Trainers and Educators.
"It is that moment when looking at your member that they realize that financial independence is not just a dream, it is a reality, that you know success as a Financial Counselor." James Pulse, Coast Guard Emp. CU, Certified since 2013